The Dulwichmum blog has moved. You can catch up with her at Dulwichmum

If you have kindly linked to this site in the past, I would appreciate it if you could check your link and change to http://www.dulwichmum.net
Thanks

Saturday 13 October 2007

Le Crunch

Earlier this afternoon, myself and the poppets travelled by car to Chelsea Harbour with James in order to liaise with a small group of his clients. The select few consisted of the great and good from the City of London, high powered movers and shakers, esteemed magnates and moguls every last one, all assembled for a corporate rugby jolly to Paris. My casually dressed man (chinos and polo shirt) disappeared up to the suites and emerged ten minutes later from the lift with a selection of louts all clad in white rugby shirts, white wigs, and white grease painted faces with red crosses. They looked like a shameful group of vulgarians.

OHMYGOD!

I naturally greeted them all warmly with a kiss on each cheek while my darling babies cowered behind a nearby sofa.

My husband (a Wales supporter) naturally did not wear the English strip (thank God). He looked so very conservative and dignified in comparison. The men took a cab to Battersea heliport, and myself and the poppets waved them off from a local riverside pub, no longer interested in a trip to the heliport. The munchkins were horrified, and darling Max in particular was more than a little distressed by the tableau he had witnissed.

"I am so very glad papa did not dress like those frightful men," he said.

"I much prefer the way daddy dresses for a rugby match," he continued.

"Indeed," I replied dryly.

When attending a Wales match, James usually wears a red curly wig, red grease paint on his face, a fifties style white dress (full circle skirt) with a busy Welsh dragon pattern, red tights and high heels (sigh).

The children careered about on their scooters for half an hour while I sank a very large Pinot Grigio from the bar... My poor boy will grow up so very soon and be just like his daddy.

18 comments:

Jo said...

You know there's a certain amount to be said for 50s dresses with full circle skirts, red tights and high heels, even if you were born a boy...

;-)

(Just in case you haven't checked my profile!)

dulwichmum said...

Lovely Josephine,

I had indeed checked out your profile. I shall be rummaging in James' wardrobe for the rest of the evening. Perhaps you should pop over and I will open a bottle of wine. I think you need to educate me!

DM

Jo said...

LOL honey ;-) Going to rugby matches to watch Wales play eh?! What a great cover! (Why didn't I think of that? Would have made my life a lot simpler!!)x

dulwichmum said...

Darling Josephine,

OHMYGOD!

You should just see the collection in James' wardrobe for stag parties!

Frog in the Field said...

DM,
you really, really do suffer.
Having said that I've just re-hung Darling Husband's grass skirt and returned it to his wardrobe.
I sighed as I did it, thinking, I bet no-one elses man has one of these in his wardrobe, but then I visit you DM and see you're already one up on me.
Even my trusty milkman has decided after watching "300" that he will now deliver milk dressed as a Spartan, what is wrong with all these men?

dulwichmum said...

Darling Frog,

Please tell me dear heart;

a)is this a traditional Welsh type of behaviour?

b) do the male supporters of other rugby teams dress like ladies?

c) do you ever wonder (as I do) which team your man is actually playing for? (...sigh).

Potty Mummy said...

I trust DM that, living in Dulwich as you do, James' red heels are Christian Laboutin?

Omega Mum said...

I'm building up a picture of your family in terminal role reversal, what with James wearing the shorts and your poppets negotiating with his clients. What do they put in the water in Dulwich, and can I have some, too?

Frog in the Field said...

I'm so sorry DM but I am not married to a Welshman, not that I regret that, of course, it's just I can't tell you what typical Welsh behaviour is. I can only sympathise from a distance.
I have actually been to watch England play rugby in Gloucester once (the life I lead!) most of the men seemed to enjoy yelling insults at the players, it was all very odd.
As for c) , well I hope it's the Home team, I think we're enough trouble for one man and enough to put him off bothering with another!

Frog in the Field said...

ps. I'm not Welsh either...

dulwichmum said...

Oh darling Potty Mummy,

They are Primark, isn't he perverse?

Sweet Omega Mum,

There is always whiskey in the water here ... always!

Sweet Frog,

I didn't like to ask, but I am more than relieved now that you have said. There really is no need to come from Wales. That red grease paint is terribly difficult to get off leather car upholstry!

@themill said...

Primark? In Dull Itch - surely not?

dulwichmum said...

Dear @themill,

I know, isn't it a complete scandal!

DJ Kirkby said...

Tsk, tsk...never mind dear DM, there is always Valium to turn to when the wine stops working.

Frog in the Field said...

Primark?
really?
If there ever were grounds for divorce, you now have them, without a doubt

Rosie said...

Dulwich Mum when are Wales next playing? Is it soon or am I too late to get a photo of James in his fabulous outfit? Perhaps you could include a copy in your book?

debio said...

I think we should all enter into this spirit of dressing up - think of me suitably attired on Saturday as we all watch THE MATCH.....

Wonder what hubby will be wearing??

Pig in the Kitchen said...

I am SO on board when it comes to dressing up for matches. You would have cringed dear Dulwich Mum, shirt, wig, face paints, lipstick, I was also there screaming for our boys. Didn't see your husband though, I suspect his seat was a tad better than mine!
How very exciting to see your book in the side bar!
Pigx