The Dulwichmum blog has moved. You can catch up with her at Dulwichmum

If you have kindly linked to this site in the past, I would appreciate it if you could check your link and change to http://www.dulwichmum.net
Thanks

Tuesday 28 August 2007

Sense of humour failure?

My perfect boy Max climbed into bed beside me this morning, gave me the most super long hug and announced; "When I am a big man, I shall leave for work every morning just like daddy, but I will say goodbye to my wife Saskia (they are so very much in love) and pop next door to your house, climb into bed beside you and give you a big bear hug all day long..."

He is simply the most darling poppet!

When I arrived in work, Hywel our twenty four year old graduate trainee was standing by the photocopier in one of his outrageous acrylic suits. I could not help but share my tale of maternal pride with him. His reply was rather alarming...

Hywel listened to the story (as indeed he should as I am so very senior indeed) and then said with a completely dead pan expressionless voice "my last girlfriend never understood my relationship with my mother..."

OHMYGOD!

Was he joking? I just could not tell...

9 comments:

Stay at home dad said...

That says more about him than you -don't worry!

Potty Mummy said...

Of course the correct reply to this cheeky grad would have been a long silence......... followed by; 'Yes. Anyway, just when is it you are up for review, Hywel?'
Exit stage left, leaving said graduate speechless and not knowing if you were joking either.
Mothers of sons - not to be messed with...

Rosie said...

Darling Dulwich Mum, he is only 24, just a young child really. Bear with him. Perhaps you should take him under your wing. Those suits need sorting out to begin with. It may be a cry for help.

Rebecca said...

and was he looking at you suggestively? eyebrows raised? A proposition perhaps?

Anonymous said...

If his mother say fit to name him Hywel it probably says it all DM - does he have a little brother called Hector by any chance?
PS - glad to see you are still on excellent form after my summer away.

Frog in the Field said...

I'm crying with laughter! Brilliant, what a total idiot.
Now I'm coughing and have tears streaming down my face. I have had a delivery half way through this comment to you and the driver clearly thinks I'm insane, you are ruining my composure and slick business-like image DM!

lady macleod said...

LOL .....on the other hand, perhaps just what he needs is the guiding hand (yes!) of an older woman... Demi Moore anyone?

debio said...

So funny, dm.

But why do all men/sons think we should 'understand' them?

Bu then, perhaps we understand them too well!

dulwichmum said...

Lovely Stay at home dad,

Thank you for your kind words, I was genuinely shocked!

Sweet Potty Mummy,

Drat! I wish I had thought of that, you are so clever.

Perfect Ingenious Rose,

I have been thinking about what you said and have just emailed him a link to the Boden Catalogue, he certainly needs help - but I could not be seen shopping with him in public!

Darling Rebecca,

OHMYGOD! I would not be at all surprised. I am rather gorgeous for my age you know...

Super Clara,

Welcome back, I missed you so!

Darling Frog,

I cannot apologise enough, in future I will try to post outside working hours.

Lovely Lady MacLeod,

He can look elsewhere for a guiding hand! Mine is covered with precious stones from my handsome, rich, indifferent husband - I know exactly what Hywel earns, and he will not be getting a raise!

Oh Debio my lovely,

and I was hoping I misunderstood!