The Dulwichmum blog has moved. You can catch up with her at Dulwichmum

If you have kindly linked to this site in the past, I would appreciate it if you could check your link and change to http://www.dulwichmum.net
Thanks

Saturday 7 April 2007

Wealth and Privilege

James telephoned me this evening and invited me to join him for dinner at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant at Claridge's for supper. James will be working for the entire bank holiday and insisted that we should snatch these opportunities when we can. I was aware however, that he had gone into work without his tie, and so would need me if he intended to eat dinner out. I am not that silly.

When I arrived at the hotel James was already in the bar, and appeared perplexed. He informed me that he had noticed two of the boarders from a local independent school "the comprehensive you pay for" (Tatler 2007) entering the restaurant for dinner.

"They dined at The Connaught during the week too", he said "the poor boys were unaccompanied by adults, and clearly unable to travel or unwelcome at home over the Easter break" . My darling husband really is a sensitive sort underneath - very far underneath...

These little Russian boys annoy me no end. They must be just fifteen years old, and are already capable of commanding tables at the best restaurants in town on a whim. I must use James' special concierge service, afforded by his super black charge card in order to be acquire a table. It is shocking to see such wealth and privilege afforded to children so young. How can they possibly appreciate the "Menu Prestige" with its truffle, caviar, sweetbread and pate de foie gras?

I will admit to you - I am rather bitter and jealous.

When we entered the restaurant, there they were - Dmitry and Grigory, seated at the best table in the house! They were clearly guests at Claridge's for the entire Easter break. James was pre-occupied by the hardship of their plight, and even considered informing our neighbours - whose son George is such a close friend to the boys, in order to enquire if the two lambs could join their family for the break.

The boys sheepishly acknowledged us and sent a bottle of Krug to our table.
Russian boys have excellent manners, and both are only a little over ten years senior to Freya.

She is such a pretty little thing, I have high hopes for my baby.

Mmm...

7 comments:

AntiScam said...

Darling Dulwichmum,

Whatever are you plotting?

Scruffy Mummy said...

Remember DM, the best laid plans of mice and men....

The more you hope for her to fancy a rich young Russian, the more she is likely to fancy a hunky young barrista at Cafe Nero - or a lovely waitress at Carluccio's!!

dulwichmum said...

You are right Scruffy Mummy sweetie, sometimes I am just day dreaming quietly here on my blog. You don't really imagine I could be so manipulative - do you? He was rather handsome actually, now that I think about it...

Anonymous said...

Oh dear me, those Russian borders... I happened upon one myself last week when I was collecting my smalls from DUCKS and a woman passed out on College Road just outside the college gates. When she came to she only spoke (very angry) Russian, and since mine is rather rusty these days, we fetched a Russian student from the college. He clearly had nothing but scorn and utter contempt for this poor (and, it turns out, indcredibly drunk) compatriate who had mistakenly chosen to faint in Dulwich. He showed her no compassion at all and I thought he would spit on her (and he was wearing a Medical Prefect jacket)! Hardly a good avertisement for the college, or for wealthy Russians. Please, save Freya for my gorgeous Jack (who, fingers crossed, will attend School 1 -- rugby or no rugby)!

Anonymous said...

Young russian boys on their own at a top London eaterie ?
You see what power of money can do !!
It's even bigger than power of love !

Foxy Minx said...

In order to pay for the rather unnecessary number of holidays (that I seem to feel are actually necessary) I take in over seas students from time to time. Last summer we had a - very priviledged - Russian lad. Vitaly was solomn and beautiful and VERY rich. He started most sentences (once he'd mastered the English language) with 'Russian people...' He was oblivious to the fact that he was refering to a miniscule minority however. Russian people dont cook a barbeque in the garden of the town house (this is my only house darling). Russian People go to their country house. Russian people dont cook their own food! (bless). Russian people.. etc etc. It was only that gorgeous smile that saved him. You'd do well to introduce Freya to such young men. Hmmm!

dulwichmum said...

Sweet Eastdulwichhilary, wealthy men can be rather heartless - but I must admit I find that rather attractive! Especially if they have a gorgeous smile (and pots of cash!).

DM