The Dulwichmum blog has moved. You can catch up with her at Dulwichmum

If you have kindly linked to this site in the past, I would appreciate it if you could check your link and change to http://www.dulwichmum.net
Thanks

Saturday 3 March 2007

Health Promotion

Why is it, that when I ask my darling children to eat their broccoli or carrots, they look at me blankly, ask for more ketchup and eat their meat and pasta only?

'Wow, just look at your eyes sparkle' I enthuse, as Freya nibbles on the corner of a carrot before tossing it back onto her plate. 'Your skin is glowing and healthy', I tell Max, as he eats the tiniest Florette of broccoli......, they are unmoved by my encouragement. 'We hate vegetables', they insisted, until the school nurse came and talked to them in assembly....

I collected the little poppets from school yesterday afternoon, and when I distributed their usual Friday treat of three wholemeal biscuits each - I was met by filthy looks, and shaming comments (no, not from the other parents - for a change!).

'Mummy, really - sweets and biscuits will never help us to grow big and strong, they will cause childhood obversity', objected Max.

'Fine', I thought. I care not where this insight is coming from, but any help is welcome. The children prize the advice of any grown up given directly to them, particularly the advice of any adult in a uniform; school nurse, dentist, policeman/woman or fire man/person... pah, (why is everything so bloomin PC complicated?)

Yes, the babies refused to show the dentist their teeth during their last visit. They had actually been brushing their teeth rather sporadically, and not allowing me to help them. But, the dentist gave them special brushes, and a tiny tube of special toothpaste each, and wow, they have been polishing their teeth regularly since. Max and Freya should grow up to have smiles to rival the Osmonds!

Praise the Lord for the professionals - I say. Aim the health promotion initiatives at the children, I'm not proud. The munchkins don't listen to me, I am just their mother....

4 comments:

Scruffy Mummy said...

My sprog refuses anything remotely resembling a veggie. And yesterday, when we went round to glam mum's of his nursery chum for tea, her boy tucked into her (homemade!) fish pie full of fish and veggies, finishing it off in 5 minutes flat. While mine banged his spoon on the table, said 'NO!' in a loud voice when we tried to entice him to eat and then poured his glass of water all over himself and her lovely kitchen floor. Yet at nursery, apparently he is the model eater and even ate brussel spouts for them! Grrrr...

dulwichmum said...

These children are laughing at us! Whatever are we to do about it?

Anonymous said...

Let children earn their places at the table. If they don't eat adult food they can't sit at the adult table.

Children crave your attention. Make them work for it.

dulwichmum said...

Dear Anonymous,

Oh dear, did you have a bad Sunday lunch? It is a bit of a bun fight at times (I will admit), but these little ones learn from our example, meal times are not simply about nutrition. A lot of the time it can seem like hard work, but these babies are learning social skills and tolerance from us too! Where is the love?